Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Cheddar Cheese Bread

I chose this recipe because it was so fast looking and because we have been eating a lot of (and loving) the Asiago cheese bread from Kneaders. I hoped this would be just as good.



Well, it was interesting-It had a different texture than I expected, sort of like cornbread and I think that threw me off. Also, I have made most of the artisan breads in this book and they are beyond fabulous so I had high expectations.

Pros: It was super fast and easy-only took about 10 minutes to throw together, no rising time, and then 45 min to cook so I'll have to try it again with soup sometime. After my fam tries this tomorrow, I'll post their reviews-they are generally pretty positive :)

All in all, I'd say it was interesting, something to keep on the radar, but I'm not fully convinced just yet.

Recipe:
3 ounces Parmesan cheese grated on the large holes of a grater (1 cup)
2 1/2 c flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
4 ounces (1 c) sharp cheddar in 1/2 inch cubes
1 c whole milk
1/2 c sour cream
3 Tbsp melted butter
1 egg
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and sprinkle 1/2 c Parmesan on the bottom.
2. Mix dry ingredients and toss in cheddar and coat with the flour. Mix wet ingredients in another bowl, then combine with dry ingredients with a spatula.
3. Scrape batter into pan, sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake until golden, 45-50 min. Let cool in pan for 10 min and then on a rack for one hour.
 one funny thing I noticed from the other reviewers-some people did not like or did not seem to use sharp cheddar-the only cheddar I ever use :)
 Check out other reviews here:

1 comment:

Jennifer O'Neal said...

That is funny that you mentioned it had the same texture as cornbread. I also mentioned that in my post as well. Good to know the texture turned out the way it's supposed to.