Monday, June 25, 2012

Cornbread

Cornbread, a little late.





So last week we made cornbread. This worked out nicely timing-wise because we were having a bbq for Father's day, complete with pulled pork and baked beans. I volunteered to bring the cornbread and managed to finish my baking days in advance! (and then due to some crazy events did not get it posted on time!)

And now for my review
(which I will preface by saying)
1-I have had a great time trying lots of new recipes in this baking club
2-I have not liked plenty of the recipes, but still glad we tried them out :)
3- I am always so sad and depressed when people don't love the recipe I choose, then I realize I did not invent it so that is absurd)
4-I LOVE cornbread-I always use the recipe on the back of the cornmeal box and its great
5-the night before this project I tried the cornbread at Famous Daves-fantastic! (it was the only thing I ate there it was so good)

that all being said, this cornbread was terrible, though it had a nice crisp top :) Basically, it tasted like straight cornmeal.
I think it comes down to me liking Northern-style cornbread (the only kind I have ever had) and apparently not loving the Southern-style cornbread.

Southern-style cornbread is not sweet (different than what I am used to) and is supposed to be very good with saucy things like baked beans. I thought that this lacked flavor (and I had secretly added 1/2 c of sugar to the recipe). The most often repeated comment was "Oh the cornbread is OK with lots of honey" Not high praise. In the end I served it at a party with 26 people (it is supposed to serve 12) and ended up throwing away more than half (and we all like cornbread).
I think I will try the Northern Style cornbread recipe (also in the book) and see if it is more of what I am used to.

-one side note-several people had a hard time getting it out of the pan-mine slipped right out so I guess I lucked out there.












No comments: