Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Black and White Cookies

So this week we made black and white cookies

(I should not have a) taken the pic so soon after frosting, they looked better after setting up for a bit and b) taken the pic so close up, they looked great from across the room. What a perfect week for me to figure out why my pics used to be soooo tiny)

Anyhow, my fam was way excited to try these, they looked very fun in the book. Initially, they were not at all a hit. My mom said that Costco's are better. My dad and sister's boyf liked them quite well enough (though sometimes I'm not sure if I can trust them as they do not seem overly picky). However, I came home from work today and they were all eaten up. My little sister said "the first one was weird but by the 8th they were rather good" My mom told me they were great today. I wonder if they were just not what people initially expected but after they knew what they were, they seemed to like them fine. The infamous O (who normally does not go near my stuff) asked if he could have one (he had no idea I had made them, that is why I'm sure) and said "they were sort of good, thanks for making them". So, in the end, I am completely baffled by the reviews. I suppose you should not eat them straight out of the oven but wait instead for the next day. Alternatively, boys seem to like them rather well at any moment. They were nice looking. For what its worth, check out the recipe and other reviews.
ps:
The frosting was super weird, I had to leave out 1 c of powdered sugar and get out my electric mixer to mix it up with a few tsp of water bc it was such a bizarre consistency. I hate dark chocolate and so the chocolate frosting was wretched and the white tasted like pure powdered sugar. On the other hand, the cookie itself, more like a cake, was interestingly (in a nice way) lemon (bc I love lemon and so I doubled the amount) and had some potential. I could have spent more time on the frosting of them and they would have looked  a bit more impressive then. I must say though-the batter was the best thing I have ever eaten!

until Japan day 4-

B

2 comments:

Kristy said...

The cookie was quite delicious the next day, and I liked the frosting also. They actually looked beautiful. I was impressed by that. They were also very lemony which is not surprising now that I know you put extra lemon in.

krista said...

I got to try these at mom's and thought they were really good. Ava and Christian loved them!